REAL ESTATE COUNSEL – ACQUISITIONS
We are seeking an in-house counsel to manage our New Jersey residential acquisitions and dispositions. In this fast paced and dynamic position you will report to the Head of Legal & Government Relations and work closely with key members of senior management. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of one of the most innovative residential property investment teams in the New York Metropolitan area.
Dixon Advisory USA is the manager of US Masters Residential Property (USA) Fund (‘US Masters’ or ‘Fund’), a $900 million residential Real Estate Investment Trust (‘REIT’) operating in the New York metropolitan area. US Masters is one of the new breed of REIT investors focusing on single-family houses (up to four dwellings) for acquisition, renovation and rental in the USA. As part of a growing $18 billion sector, US Masters is the only fund with the primary focus of acquiring residential properties in the New York metropolitan area. US Masters also forms the first Australian-listed property trust with a primary strategy of investing in direct US residential property. In addition to its focus on freestanding single-family houses, the Fund invests in small-to-mid-sized apartment buildings in joint ventures with key players in the local market. The Fund has total assets of over $900 million, owns approximately 600 houses and 13 apartment complexes representing over 1,500 rental units in the New York metropolitan area, and is actively committed to expanding the portfolio.
To learn more about Dixon Advisory USA and the Fund, please visit: www.dixonadvisoryusa.com
Founded in early 2011, Dixon Advisory USA and its construction subsidiary, Dixon Projects, have a skilled team of over 120 dynamic real estate, construction and finance professionals who are at the forefront of this exciting new investment sector. Dixon Advisory USA is vertically integrated, managing the Fund end-to-end – from the acquisition process, to asset rehabilitation, through to leasing and client management.
IN THIS PIVOTAL, FAST FACED AND EXCITING POSITION, YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Must be able to prepare and negotiate a variety of types of documents concerning residential real estate, including leasing, acquisitions, dispositions, construction, financing and development
- Confer with outside legal counsel handling residential real estate closings
- Review, and when necessary negotiate and draft, real estate contracts and attorney riders
- Oversee due diligence and advise senior management accordingly
- Analyze the existing property and improvements, and intended future buildings and improvements, for compliance with applicable building, zoning, subdivision, environmental, and other building and land use ordinances, bylaws, and regulatory requirements
- Review environmental reports, guide senior management through regulatory compliance and closure, and advise on legal strategies to limit the Company’s risks and liabilities.
- Analyze title reports, work to resolve title issues, and negotiate title insurance policies and appropriate endorsements
- Supervise in-house real estate paralegal
- Liaise with the qualified intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
- Oversee preparation of closing documents
- Schedule closings and, when necessary, attend or conduct closings.
- Ensure the creation and proper retention of post-closing packages and closing worksheets
- Respond to due diligence requests related to debt financing
- Provide transactional legal support to the Leasing, Property Management, and Construction Departments
- Juris Doctor from an accredited school of law
- Admission to the New York Bar, in good standing
- Admission to the New Jersey Bar, in good standing is a plus
- If necessary, willingness to register with the New York Bar as in-house counsel employed full time in New York State
- Maintain the requirements for bar license by attending necessary continuing legal education courses, with a study emphasis in real estate, construction and corporate law.
- 2-6 years of Real Estate Law experience, ideally in residential real estate closings in New Jersey
- Interest in or experience with land use law
- Exceptional communication skills – written and verbal
- Excellent business writing skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team with co-workers possessing various areas of expertise
- Must be energetic and creative thinking with strong business ethics and standards
- Highly professional and approachable demeanor
- Fast paced & exciting role
- Exciting projects
- Dynamic work environment
- Attractive salary + benefits
To apply for this exciting role please submit your resume accompanied by a cover letter to: email@example.com